Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing all concerts, rehearsals, recitals, and other Departmental performances, attending events to ensure facilities are properly prepared according to the needs of each performance;
• Creating and maintaining on-going schedule of concerts, rehearsals and other events in all Departmental performance facilities;
• Liaising with faculty, students, other Duke departments, student groups, and community members about the use of our facilities;
• Maintaining Department- owned musical instruments, sound equipment, and stage equipment for use by students, faculty and community members;
• Recruiting and training special event technicians, student house managers and ushers for all events;
• Coordinating concert details with individual ensemble directors, faculty performers, guest musicians, student participants and other external participants;
• Managing ensemble tours, providing assistance to ensemble directors and student participants.
Requires 2-5 years of coordination or management experience in the performing arts or a directly related field. Demonstrable knowledge of the principles, needs and activities associated with musical performances acquired through a bachelor’s degree in the performing arts or a related field. Excellent organization and communication skills. Computer proficiency in word-processing, internet, email, Excel spreadsheets and databases.
Must maintain a professional demeanor and image, as this is a customer-facing job, effectively responding to numerous demands from faculty, staff, students, guest musicians and other departments/offices at Duke. Must work independently, quickly and creatively to prevent and solve problems as they arise. Must be able to manage multiple projects and responsibilities at once. Must also be a strong manager, motivating and inspiring staff to perform to the best of their abilities. May have to lift heavy boxes, music stands, chairs, concert shells and other items. Required to work long non-traditional hours including nights and weekends. Must provide own transportation.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to the Duke University HR Department, via the job posting atwww.hr.duke.edu/jobs <http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs> . The job is listed as Concert Manager under Requisition #400354412, and lists a detailed description of the job responsibilities and expectations.
Deadline for applications is 11/16/09. No phone calls to Department please.
DUKE UNIVERSITY AND HEALTH SYSTEM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER